I love the concept of New Year’s resolutions. What’s better than a fresh start? In 2013 my New Year’s resolution was to try the Paleo Diet for one month to see how I’d like it. It ended up becoming a lifestyle that has greatly benefitted me.
In 2014 I would like to focus more on my activity level. When I was in high school I loved sports. I played tennis and ran track and just enjoyed working out in general. The first couple of years I was in college I utilized the gym a lot and still continued to play the occasional game of tennis. Fast forward to today and the only form of exercise I get is walking my dog.
So here is my first goal:
Do one of three low impact activities three times per week:
- Yoga dvd
- Youtube work out video
- Hand weight exercises
I’m trying to make this first goal easy and achievable. These are all free, indoor activities so there should be no excuse for me not to do them. I already own a yoga dvd, there are hundreds of work out videos on Youtube, and I also have a set of hand weights. Also, three times per week? My schedule should be able to handle that.
In addition to raising my activity level I would also like to maintain my diet but focus on having a healthy digestive system. Our digestive systems play such a key role in overall health. To aid in my digestive health I would like to:
- Take a probiotic supplement
- Add bone broth to my diet (I’ll write a blog post on this later)
- Consume fermented vegetables like sauerkraut
- Try different varieties of fermented tea, known as kombucha
- Add chia seeds, flax seeds, and hemp seeds to my diet because they support the growth of beneficial bacteria in the stomach
My second goal is to focus on:
I’ve decided that I would like to meditate more this year. My goal is to meditate at least once per week. I like to use meditation as a time to get centered, feel calm, and speak to God. I’m not currently part of an organized religion, but if I had to describe the “religion of Courtney” 😉 it would be:
- Remaining judgement-free and being kind to those around me while appreciating that everyone is on their own unique path and journey
- Expressing gratitude for being here. In this infinite, amazing universe I’m here living and breathing, which is amazing in itself
- Believing there is a being or force greater than myself that set life in motion
- Trying to live in the present moment and enjoying things for what they are, not what they could be
So those are some of my goals for the new year! What are some of your goals for 2014? 🙂